We are currently seeking Expressions of Interest for our PhD scholarships to commence in late 2021/2022.
There are up to 16 scholarships are available across three partner universities – QUT, Swinburne and UTS and a variety of disciplines including robotics, business, and design. The Centre’s universities are located in Brisbane (QUT), Sydney (UTS) and Melbourne (Swinburne).
Each research topic is based at one of our three partner universities, and, if successful, the candidate would be enrolled at this institution and be required to adhere to that universities policies and conditions.
HOW TO APPLY
- Review the proposed research topics and primary supervisor for each.
You can find out more about the Centre’s Chief Investigators via our People page.
- Complete and submit the Expression of Interest form, including your CV and details of research interests
Applications will be accepted until the scholarship is awarded, but applications will be assessed starting 13th September 2021.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
This is a competitive process – all expressions of interest will be reviewed and assessed by the relevant program leaders for your topic of interest. If successful, the proposed supervisors will be in contact to invite you to submit a full application at the university of your proposed supervisor.
Note that EOIs will be reviewed as they are received and recruitment will continue until suitable applicants are found.
If you have previously submitted an Expression of Interest, please do not apply again unless there have been changes in your research outputs e.g. new publications, or in your eligibility requirements, e.g. a change in residency status.
- The scholarship will be undertaken on a full-time basis.
- The scholarship is for full-time study and can be used to support living costs.
- A scholarship, tax exempt and indexed annually, from $34,013 per annum for a period of 3 years will be provided to the successful applicant with four weeks paid leave per year included.
- A six-month extension to the scholarship is also possible, subject to approval by the enrolling university.
- A successful international student will be considered for an HDR tuition fee sponsorship, if successful in receiving the scholarship.
- As part of the PhD program, candidates will undertake:
- a placement at one or more of our industry partners for a minimum of 12 months spread over the course of their candidature
- a casual Research Assistant contract from year 2 of their candidature (up to 8 days per annum) to produce communications for their program, including videos, articles, social media posts, podcasts and networking events.
- interstate travel as required to both our university and industry partners throughout the course of the candidature.
- Due to COVID restrictions and funding arrangements for the scholarships, preference may be given to applicants already in Australia (domestic or international who have study rights) and are available to commence studies in late 2021 / early 2022.
- You must meet the relevant university academic and language requirements for the Doctor of Philosophy.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant field
- First-class honours (H1) or equivalent.
The provision of a scholarship is conditional on successful application and admission to the Doctor of Philosophy course. Eligibility for admission to a research degree is determined by the enrolling university.
Find out more about the PhD program and eligibility requirements at each university:
Industry placement are significant as they allow researchers to contextualise and focus their research further so that they can find solutions for the key challenges from industry.
PhD researchers will also be offered a personalised training program that includes:
- an industry mentor program
- practical experience of research communications with a paid casual employment contract through the university (approx. 8 days work per year)
- training and development program that includes face to face modules, self paced learning and practical opportunities to apply the learnings from these courses