POSTED: 09 Feb, 2023
On Tuesday 7th February, Jobs Queensland and the Australian Cobotics Centre officially launched their joint report, Advancing Manufacturing: Exploring the human element of the journey.
The report illustrates the opportunities and challenges faced by manufacturing organisations in Queensland as they progress toward Industry 4.0, with a focus on the people in the frontline of the change. The report also includes case studies of two organisations, Watkins Steel and our industry partner, B&R Enclosures. The research was completed by our research program leads, Dr Penny Williams, Prof Greg Hearn, research Associate, Dr Rio Rodrigues PhD and Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Dr Melinda Laundon.
The event was held at our Industry partner and key organisation in advancing Advanced Manufacturing in Queensland, ARM Hub (Advanced Robotics for Manufacturing) and included
- An introduction to the report and its impact from Jobs Queensland Executive Director, Joshua Rayner
- Q & A with Kimberley Davis, Group HR Manager from B&R Enclosures and Des Watkins Director from Watkins Steel led by Prof greg hearn
- Insight into the research outcomes from Dr Penny Williams
- An introduction to the newly formed, Manufacturing Skills Queensland from CEO, Brett Kapernick
- An overview of the recent projects completed by ARM Hub (Advanced Robotics for Manufacturing) from Samuel Jesuadian
- A project demonstration from Australian Cobotics Centre Lead Engineer, Dr Dasun Gunasinghe and Centre Director, Prof Jonathan Roberts
Key takeaways included:
? Implementing new technology doesn’t work when people haven’t been involved in the development, design and implementation.
? Multidisciplinary working is vital to ensure holistic solutions that work across all aspects of the business.
? The skills workers are developing are transferrable and can be used across many different industries.
? For Australia to be globally competitive we need to embrace advanced manufacturing.
To learn more, access the reports here: Advancing Manufacturing Skills project | Jobs Queensland
ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction March 13-16, 2023 Stockholm, SE
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Dr Stine Johansen was at the IEEE Human Robot Interaction Conference this week where she presented her paper, Illustrati ...
ARTICLE: Try-a-Trade, Gladstone
By Melinda Laundon, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, and Jacqueline Greentree, PhD Researcher, Human-Robot Workforce Program, Australian Cobotics Centre ...
Meet our E.P.I.C. Researcher, Dr Melinda Laundon
The Australian Cobotics Centre has some incredibly E.P.I.C. researchers. Each month we will be profiling a different researcher. Dr Melinda Laundon is ...