POSTED: 09 Feb, 2023
The report illustrates the opportunities and challenges faced by manufacturing organisations in Queensland as they progress toward Industry 4.0, with a focus on the people in the frontline of the change. The report also includes case studies of two organisations, Watkins Steel and our industry partner, B&R Enclosures. The research was completed by our research program leads, Dr Penny Williams, Prof Greg Hearn, research Associate, Dr Rio Rodrigues PhD and Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Dr Melinda Laundon.
The event was held at our Industry partner and key organisation in advancing Advanced Manufacturing in Queensland, ARM Hub (Advanced Robotics for Manufacturing) and included
- An introduction to the report and its impact from Jobs Queensland Executive Director, Joshua Rayner
- Q & A with Kimberley Davis, Group HR Manager from B&R Enclosures and Des Watkins Director from Watkins Steel led by Prof greg hearn
- Insight into the research outcomes from Dr Penny Williams
- An introduction to the newly formed, Manufacturing Skills Queensland from CEO, Brett Kapernick
- An overview of the recent projects completed by ARM Hub (Advanced Robotics for Manufacturing) from Samuel Jesuadian
- A project demonstration from Australian Cobotics Centre Lead Engineer, Dr Dasun Gunasinghe and Centre Director, Prof Jonathan Roberts
Key takeaways included:
? Implementing new technology doesn’t work when people haven’t been involved in the development, design and implementation.
? Multidisciplinary working is vital to ensure holistic solutions that work across all aspects of the business.
? The skills workers are developing are transferrable and can be used across many different industries.
? For Australia to be globally competitive we need to embrace advanced manufacturing.
To learn more, access the reports here: Advancing Manufacturing Skills project | Jobs Queensland
ARTICLE: Cobots in manufacturing: Good for skill shortages and much more.
Written by Research Program Co-Lead Professor Greg Hearn and PhD Candidate Nisar Ahmed Channa both from the Human Robot Workforce research program in ...
Meet our E.P.I.C. Researcher, Idhant Bhambri
Idhant Bhambri is a PhD researcher based at Swinburne University of Technology and his project is part of the Quality Assurance and Compliance researc ...
6 Reasons Why We Need a Prototyping Toolkit for Designing Human-Robot Collaboration
Written by Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Dr Stine S Johansen and PhD Researcher, James Dwyer In this short article, we will share 6 benefits of ha ...